3.23.2010

Lessons learned


Spring is apparently here. It's been here for a few weeks, actually, which is a bit unheard of in my neck of the woods. The sight of green grass and warmer temperatures has made a lot of people - including me, for the most part - happier. I wouldn't say that there's a great outbreak of SAD around here, but months of cold and only 8 hours of sun and 2+ feet of snow makes people grumpy. Myself included.

I've managed to introduce four new pieces to my Etsy store this week. I had intended on a few more, but buttonholes got the best of me. Lousy - and kind of inexplicable - excuse, I know, but it's true. And I have a photo to prove it.


I have tried to make buttonholes with my sewing machine, using the handy-dandy buttonholer attachment. Failed miserably. So I figured that they had to make buttonholes with hand at some point in history and did some research.

That photo above? Yeah, that's what I ended up with, following the instructions. I wouldn't say I'm an expert embroiderer or needlepointer, but I am decent. That button hole there? Eep. Wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. I had done up a couple of other wallets with the handmade buttonholes and decided that they were not worth attempting to sell... the holes turned out so bad that I felt bad even giving them to Maddy to play with.

I've come to accept the fact that I cannot make buttonholes to save my life. I love buttons, though, so what to do with a cookie tin of random buttons (vintage, military, tiny, massive, all kinds)? I think I have a solution: I have a few dozen sew-on snaps in silver, black and clear. I'm going to try using them as the actual closure, while using a button as a decoratation on the outside... if that makes any sense.

Over the next few days, I hope to be posting a bit more what I'm doing - and hope to do - as well as what blogs I'm addicted to for inspration and ideas. And, with fingers crossed for some free time, there's always the potential of some cosmetic changes coming to this blog... or not. I'd side with not at this point in the week. Heck, I'd say it's a sure bet right now :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak up