6.23.2010

Blood suckers

Can I tell you how much I hate mosquitoes?

They are making it really hard to enjoy what little summer we have. Because we're in the middle of the continent, far away from any major bodies of water that affect air currents, summer usually lasts 4 months AT MOST. More often than not, 3 months. It sucks.

I'm not a hot weather fan, but a nice day for me is between 20˙ and 25˙C (68˙-77˙F), sunny, with a light breeze (enough to move the leaves). Humidity and excessive heat make me grumpy and angry... and sticky.

It's been raining here a lot lately, which means we're stuck inside a lot. Because of this rain, there is lots of standing water means lots of mosquitoes, which means it's bloody annoying to be outside for more than 5 minutes at a time. We've been out a few times in the last week, covered in whatever insect repellant we have on hand, but still get bitten. So a few minutes outside end up being hours of scratching and days of scarring.

We want to go outside. We put up a fence and got Maddy toys to play with outside. I have a garden I need to take care of... outside. My city will not be spraying anytime soon, if at all...and only will mosquitoes carrying the West Nile Virus start appearing in the traps, and the province tells them to.

In the meantime, we're stuck inside. Today, I'm going to attempt to get some work done on my computer while Maddy plays. Depending on her mood, it should go well, but she's been rather cranky lately - probably due to not going outside as much - so we'll play it by ear.

If things go well, expect some changes to this blog. Additional pages, a new banner, some general tweaking... all depends on the clinginess of a moody 17 month old.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak up