2.06.2010

Setting the table

One of the things I want to use this blog to do is highlight 'finds' - blogs, collections, photo galleries, individual pieces of creativity - that I come across. I have an iPod Touch (16GB) that rarely leaves my side. I've also got a 13-month old who I'm quite fond of and like to spend a lot of time with, but - and I'm not ashamed to admit this - when Handy Manny's on, I tend to drift away and use my iPod to check email, Facebook and check my favourite sites.

So, in keeping with the plan to post links to things I 'find', here's the first - AIGA Design Archives. I've come across collections from AIGA quite a lot over the years (thank you, StumbleUpon), but this is the first time I've seen their design archives. Astounding to say the least. I used to be (am still?) a graphic designer, working mainly in newsprint, building ads. This collection - Print Ads of the Year - is, by far, my favourite, if only because it shows how advertising has evolved so much in 30 years. And I'm a sucker for text-heavy ads.

I'm also reading The Age of Persuasion, by Terry O'Reilly and Mike Tennant, the two men behind the CBC radio show of the same name. Keith got it for Christmas, but I stole it almost immediately and have been chipping away at it, page by page, for a month or so now. It's an interesting look at the world of advertising and how it affects our lives (and influences) on a day-to-day basis. Great pull-quotes and info boxes sprinkled throughout, too.

I'm not sure how frequently I'll be able to post new 'finds' or even post anything, but I'm aiming for at least once a day. But I am a habitual procrastinator with a 13-month old and attempting to get a business off the ground... or maybe this blog will be one of those ways I can take a mental break and help spread the word about some amazing designs and works. Guess we'll find out ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak up